RISD Council of PTAs Clothes Closet
When students feel good about the way they are dressed then they can more easily focus on learning, growing and succeeding. The RISD Council of PTAs and its 54 member units are committed to helping students (pre-k through high school) in financially challenging situations gain clothing that they can comfortably and proudly wear.
Location: 1239 W. Beltline Rd (across from RHS and next to RISD Newcomer Center)
Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/RISDCC/
to stay up to date on our current donation needs and volunteer opportunities
What to Donate
New or like-new:
Clean, and current clothing in sizes 3T-Adult XXL+
Winter accessories like hats, gloves, scarves, and coats
Bras and sports bras
Backpacks or duffel bags
Shoes, preferably athletic shoes
How to Donate
- Contact your school Clothes Closet representative, or
- Take items to the Clothes Closet on Monday mornings 9:30 AM - 11:30AM, September through April When RISD is in session. The Clothes Closet is closed during the summer months and on school holidays. For the 2023-2024 academic calendar, click here.
- Items must be pre-sorted in two categories: wearable and unwearable.
- Wearable in like-new condition, and currently in fashion. should be labeled ‘Clothes Closet.’
- Unwearable items such as ripped, torn, stained and/or well-worn clothing or non-clothing fabric items (sheets, towels, curtains, etc.) should be labeled ‘World Wear.’ We sell these to World Wear Project and in-turn, use the money to purchase needed items.
- Download your receipt here.
How To Volunteer
You must be registered and approved through RISD to volunteer. Get started here.
PTAs or PTA Representatives
Each PTA is responsible for the following volunteer needs:
3 Mondays per semester (for a total of 4). This is a time to stock and sort our donations. Link to 2023-2024 sign up here.
2 Tuesday shopper & driver shifts that you will be responsible for this year. Link to 2023-2024 sign up here.
As a PTA Clothes Closet Representative, you are responsible for:
- Collecting clothing donations from local PTA or school.
- Sorting clothes into usable (clean, like-new, in style, age appropriate) and unusable.
- Delivering usable items to Clothes Closet during donation hours.
- Volunteering or recruiting others to work requested shifts.
If your school/PTA is interested but you feel that you cannot commit to a full year please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need Clothes Closet training documentation, please email email@example.com.
How it Works
Students in need of clothing assistance are identified by either a school counselor or campus nurse. Alternatively, a parent can contact the school counselor or nurse to ask for clothing assistance for their student. Once identified, the school counselor fills out an online form that is received by the RISD Council of PTAs Clothes Closet Co-Chairs.
Volunteers then fulfill the requests on Tuesdays that school in session, while volunteer delivery drivers deliver these to the schools that requested them. Unless a request is for limited items, each student receives a week’s worth of clothes including new shoes with socks, winter coat, new underwear, and toiletries.
The Clothes Closet hosts an annual Shoe-Shoe Train that stocks the closet with new shoes each February and culminates at the Founders Day celebration meeting.